"I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
tasks as if they were great and noble."
Helen Keller

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Dueling Darlings - A Christmas Story

Merry Christmas!

Today on my blog is the project I made for the Dueling Darlings December challenge.

Jeanette was the hostess for the Dazzlers this month and the kit was wonderful!  The kit included:

Images by Kraftin Kimmie "O Holy Night"
DP by Paper Studio
Embellishments from Hobby Lobby and Michaels
and the blue trim I used for the hanger was found by Jeanette on one of her treasure hunt finds (she loves garage and yard sales)

In the spirit of Christmas and since we just put up our tree I decided to make a Christmas ornament instead of a card.  The base of the ornament is a square coaster.

Here it is:


I think the greatest Christmas memory I have growing up is how much my dad loved Christmas.  He decorated the inside of the house as well as the outside.  Didn't matter how cold it was, the Christmas decorations got put up.  Lights everywhere!  One year he even built three large cross out of wood, wrapped them in foil, put lights on them and then placed them in the front yard.  BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Thanks for stopping by.  Please check out all the Dueling Darlings blogs to see their creations. Links to their blogs are in my sidebar.

Merry Christmas!

8 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Oh Deb... what a beautiful ornament and a great idea! It will adorn your tree for years - and you'll think of the Darlings when you hang it there. I am in awe!

Your ornament is GORGEOUS! I almost used the star in the same way on my card, but it seemed a bit overpowering on the card, but on your ornament it is perfect!

I loved reading your Christmas memories, too. It's amazing to me that your dad would decorate outside no matter how cold it got.

Judy McMullen said...

Hi Deb! Wow! Love, love, love your ornament!! What a creative way to use the elements from the kit and it will be something to treasure every Christmas. The dsp on the coaster as a background is perfect and the placement of the star over that beautifully colored image is just perfect! Love the addition of the sentiment panels! Great job!!
Thanks for sharing your Christmas memories. You'll treasure those forever! Have a very Merry Christmas!

:: BlueInks :: said...

You're so creative! It never dawned on me to make an ornie!!! Yours turned out so cute.

I am glad that you have such fond Christmas memories.....priceless.

Happy Holidays!!!

Carol W said...

Oh my goodness Deb, you are so clever and creative. What a great idea to make an ornament and such a cute one at that. I love that your favorite memory is of your Dad and his love of Christmas and decorations. What a very special memory. I am so glad we are duelers and friends. Have a very Blessed Christmas season.
Hugs.

Melina said...

Great idea to make an ornament with this image! Wow, that is gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing your talents with the DD group. :)

Barb said...

What a great creation--an stunning ornament. Love the image and it is just perfectly colored and I am sure will be admired for years on your tree!

Thanks so much for being a part of the wonderful group of Dueling Darlings and I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas too!

Darlene said...

One word comes to mind: INSPIRED!!

The coaster ornament is just sensational. I love the colors and how you attached the sentiment panels!

I can just visualize the 3 crosses your Dad made with the lights in the front yard. I bet it was really, really great!

I'm so blessed by the Dueling Darlings, and you are one of those blessings.

MiamiKel said...

Fabulous idea!! I love how you made this into an ornament ;)

I hope you have a beautiful Christmas esp with the new grand baby to celebrate and spoil!